January 29, 2013
Dear President Obama,
Because you are committed to leading the world and our nation to respond to the realities of climate change, I encourage you to explore the example of the Rocky Mountain Institute. The RMI has been at work for the last 30 years gathering the creative minds and resources of business leaders in America who have created the path to energy independence and non-polluting technologies. Most important, however, are the RMI principles that are at the heart of the entrepreneurial spirit. I recommend that whatever you and your cabinet and staff put into action to turn toward a sustaining energy policy will follow similar rules of engagement. As you will see RMI leaders did not wait for the government to make changes but rather turned to creative minds and business leaders. As a result, the RMI has fostered incredible breakthroughs in new technologies. The solutions are already here. What you can help do is to bring it to scale.
- Advanced Resource Productivity: Using natural resources much more productively — efficiently — is both profitable and better for the environment.
- Whole-Systems Design: Whole-systems design reveals lasting, elegantly frugal solutions with multiple benefits.
- Positive Action: We don’t lobby, litigate, or harass those with whom we disagree.
- Market-Oriented Solutions: We believe in working with markets, not against them.
- End-use/Least-cost Approach: “What are we trying to do, and what’s the best and cheapest way to do it?”
- Biological Insight: Nature offers extraordinary design solutions honed by 3.8 billion years’ rigorous testing
- Corporate Transformation: We view the corporate world, which environmental groups often dismiss as “the problem,” as an essential part of the solution.
- The Pursuit of Interconnection: We believe strongly in the importance of a “vision across boundaries.”
Cc: Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR), Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), Barbara Boxer (D-CA) Senator David Vitter (R-LA), Fred Upton (R-MI), Henry Waxman (D-CA), Representative Doc Hastings (R-WA), Ed Markey (D-MA)